Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Sunday, May 04, 2008

    Greetings from Lucca, Tuscany in Italy! This beautiful city is where my grandparents grew up and immigrated from so it's been a hoot being among my roots indeed! Here's how it got here...

    My stay with Anna's lovely family was unforgettable. I was treated like a part of the family and I'm actually excited that I get to go back for a quick visit before leaving for Switzerland

    I started the trip in La Spezia on the northwest border of the Tuscan province and my first day of touring was a short ride to Aulla, where the "Tuscan Alps" really get started. I felt strong, healthy and excited to dive into my adventures in Italy.

    Unfortunately, I quickly discovered the vast difference between the African and Italian culture when, after relaxing around dinner time at a local cafe with half dozen local Italians, nobody invited me to eat with their family or even pitch my tent in their yard. They sent me to the local church to find a place to sleep, but the priest was even quite rude and sent me on my way.

    So I found a place down by the river, under a bridge, on a bed of rocks. Fortunately, I had plenty of food, water and a good air mattress to catch some good rest. It rained all night and into the morning so it was hard not to get a bit sad.


    My home first night on tour in Italy. Could be worse!

    But at about 11AM the sun came out, my spirits lifted and I was off on one of best day of cycling I have done in my life right into the alps, with a climb of about 800 meters, or 2,600 feet. No guest riders that day, but I met tons of cyclists on the road and the scenery was to die for.


    About 1/2 way up the 800 meter pass. Lovin it!


    Springtime in the Tuscan Alps

    At the end of a long day of climbing I was determined to give it another go to find a place to stay and eat with the locals. But, sadly to say, I was denied by another four people and told the best place to stay was in the meadow and the pizzeria was best bet for food. Luckily, as you’ll see in the pictures, it was an epic place to stay indeed! But boy these Italians were a tough nut to crack!


    My home for 2nd night on the road in Italy. Not bad...

    The 3rd day on the road was bliss! It was mostly downhill on the other side of the pass, and the windy roads through one stunning Tuscan village after another was just beyond words. I was happy, grateful and positive as I rode down into Castelnuovo where I stopped at a bike shop to get some air in my shock. This is where my persistence and steadfast intention to meet some beautiful Italian people would finally pay off!


    Some of the scenery in the Tuscan Alps


    Mama, Jamie and Antonio at his family home

    In come Anotonio, a 34 year old cycling enthusiast an high tech entrepreneur who happened to be at the shop, speak good English, and have a heart of gold. When I explained the Peace Pedalers project to him, how I invite people to ride with me, he grinned and asked me, knowing fully what the answer was, , “So how many riders have you had in Italy?”.

    Antonio and I became friends almost instantly, and he took me to his family’s house for lunch where I met my “Italian Mama”, his dad and sister at their lovely house in the countryside. From there he invited me to stay with him and his girlfriend at his house back 10km in the town of Camporgiano and accepted the invitation to ride with me the following day!


    Our first pedal strokes to Lucca. His house is just behind us


    The amazing Castelnuovo, Antonio's home town


    The "Devil's Bridge" outside Lucca


    Chiara gets a ride on the tandem into Lucca


    a final meal together on the wall of Lucca

    The 24 hours I spent with Antonio and his girlfriend Chiara were unforgettable. They have a charming 100 year old Tuscan house with 2 rivers running through it where I had my own room and a nice bed. Bye bye air mattress! We enjoyed great beers, yummy Prosecco and red wines, another amazing meal with his family, Gelato and a nightcap full of great chats until late in the evening.

    The next day Antonio and I did a fast and glorious ride of about 60km to Lucca and Chiara was our support vehicle. Antonio logs about 12,000km per year on his bike so we were flying and the moving interview was flawless with great chats, philosophizing and catching awesome scenery without too much traffic.

    We met up with Chiara in Lucca and had an amazing picnic on the ancient walls of the stunning city of Lucca. I was sad to see them go, but happy to have a few days to relax and rest my tired legs that now had 4 days in a row of cycling on them. I ended up hitting the town and meeting more lovely Italians that evening and took a full day to relax in the shade while a huge bike race went on right in front of my place where I was staying!



    One of 91 Bianchini's in Lucca.


    Some of the awesome scenery in the town of Lucca

    The bike race on my day off yesterday. Lovely!

    All in all, I’m loving Italy! I’m on my way now to Montecatini Terma where Anna told me I have to check out the hot springs and then off to Florence to check out one of Europe’s most beautiful cities before making my way to Switzerland.

    That’s the latest! La Vita Bella!!

    Jamie

    No comments: