Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Sunday, March 09, 2008

    The Rainbow is Back!

    It’s been a rocky start and re-entry was rough but I’m happy to report that the Jamie Rainbow is back—this magical force that seemed to guide me through my journeys and attract just the right people and experiences. I had some personal hurdles to overcome that seemed to manifest into susceptibility to sickness. The body follows the mind, I always say.


    So my crazy cough, brought on by my emotional state and the thick dust of the Harmattan (see photo of the scenery, or lack thereof, in N. Benin below) finally backed off after 5 days of pampering at my brother from another mother Hugo and Stephan’s Oasis in Cotonou with my own room, WIFI, aircon, chef and regular trips to the ocean.

    The Harmattan dust makes the roads look like this...


    A flower power party was just what I needed in Cotonou, Benin


    A a nice day relaxing on Jamie Island...

    I have found a home in West Africa, and Benin is it. I’ve met some friends for life there and a sense of community was just what the doctor ordered all around.

    After many great meals, surfs, chillin sessions and a bit of work I finally caught my plane to Senegal. I had to pay a bit, for the first time in about 5 years, for my baggage but I can’t complain. I had planned to catch a boat to Casamance in southern Senegal but due to a big Islamic conference they canceled i. I saw that, and the the arrival of a beautiful swell of great waves from the north (7 feet at 13 seconds to all you surfers), I decided to extend my pampering for a few more days and surf my tail off.

    I was blessed to meet the owner of Tribal Surf Shop Cyril here in town and he set me up with my board, wetsuit and board bag that allowed me to turn my tandem into a surf mobile. I also met a French woman Silvi who has turned her home into a small B&B and I felt immediately at home. I was greeted by a wild Italian man Franco who was visiting Silvi and we hit it off big time. He decided to cook me his “Mama’s Favorite Pasta” with pork cheek and lots of love.


    The surf mobile checkin the waves ;)


    Cooking at Sylvi's place with French, Senegalese, Italian and American influences


    Good fun with new friends!


    And pleeennnnty of surf. This is Rene, a local surfer and cool cat


    The weekend was full of waves, sun, more waves, great people and more waves and all full of energy to head off tomorrow for a 2 week expedition of S. Senegal in the Casamance region and Gambia. I honestly caught some of the best waves of my life and if you like to surf, put Dakar on your radar screen stat! My rainbow has also attracted some great people lined up along the way and tons of musicians who I’ll be recording when I come back to Dakar once more for another dose of surf and fun before hitting the Sahara Desert up to Mauritania and Morocco.

    Big love!

    Jamie

    No comments: