Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Sunday, April 06, 2008

    Blog, 4/6/08, Mauritania

    As much as my ego screams and kicks and yells, I have to take a miss on riding the Sahara right now. I got a horrible night sleep last night coughing away and it’s clear that the 20 hours of dusty travel beat up my fragile respiratory system. I thought I was okay to power on, but it’s clear I need more time. To go out pedaling and filming in the Sahara would not be smart.


    These are some pics from a cyclist heading south


    and a sandstorm that almost sent him home early...

    I had dreamed of riding the heat, dunes and unique landscapes of the Sahara for years and it shatters me that I will have to pass this time. But I have to do what is best for me and get to 100% for the big expedition of Europe ahead. I’m at 83% now so my plan is to heal up at a yoga and surf retreat called Surf Moroc in Taghazout, Morocco with some fresh ocean air and yoga sessions. Once I’m healed I’ll do a ride of Morocco then make my way to Europe.

    I hope to come back one day and pedal in Mauritania and Gambia, two countries that I had to pass on this time, as well as Benin. I’m gutted I had to miss some epic journeys in these countries, but at least I got to see em! I’ll be back! Please send some prayers my way—I need to heal up fast for Europe and beyond!

    Peace,

    Jamie

    No comments: