Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Monday, May 26, 2008

    Slovenia Blog, May 27, 2008


    My hosts Ursa and her Fiancee Luka

    My host Luka, Ursa's finacee, out pedalin'

    Take a photo adventure of latest Slovenia pics at: http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=9AauGbRi3aNUc&notag=1

    Greetings from Kranj, Slovenia! I’m chillin at the home of 2002 Slovenian guest rider Ursa and her super cool fiancée Luka. Ursa and Garryck rode on together for several weeks in western China near Tibet. Six years later Ursa is still just as cheery and adventurous, but now she is 4 months pregnant and getting married in 3 weeks!

    The hospitality has been beyond words. Luka and Ursa met me at the border and Luka rode with me to a local mountain bike race where we met more great people relaxing in the sun. Ursa then took a go on the bike and we rode to the stunning town of Bled for dinner, meeting Luka’s grandma and a stroll on the lake. That night it was off to a birthday party of her friend Ana and more great people, yummy Slovenian wine and lots of great chats!



    The next day the local crew took me out on one of the best mountain bike rides I’ve ever been on! It was 60km of perfection, rolling hills, steep hills, green landscapes, mountains, turquoise blue rivers and lakes, rushing waterfalls—all with great Slovenian people to chat with! What more could I ask for? Follow that up with a great meal, more interesting and friendly people and it’s pretty much bliss out here!

    My cycling crew near Bled, Slovenia


    Yesterday I had planned to pedal onwards but it was Ursa’s birthday now so I HAD to stay and celebrate! I whopped up some caprice salad, Luka got a cake and the entire family and many friends came for an awesome evening. I rode with Ursa’s 93 year old grandfather through the streets of Kranj, as well as several other family and friends. There were three generations of Ursa’s family there and the laughter and smiles in Slovenia are like no place I have ever experienced.


    Ursa's 93 year old grandfather had some powerful legs!


    No need to tour when the biking with the locals is so fun!



    So I’ve been torn today whether I should pedal on solo into the countryside or accept an invitation to go share the passions of two rock climbing enthusiasts and super cool Slovenian friends Luka and Blaz in the pristine mountains here in Slovenia. Although I love to ride, the main objective of the tandem cycling is to meet and connect with the locals out in nature. It seems to be happening without having to go out touring here in Slovenia and I’m happy to explore the passions of others since I always seem to get folks to share mine out on the bike. So I’m going with the flow and will be hanging from a rock in a few hours ;)

    So I may only get a few days of actual “traditional bike touring” here in Slovenia, but plenty of great times and meaningful new friendships that I’ll never forget! Yet another great place to come back and visit in the future! Lovin it!

    Over n out from paradise!

    Jamie

    No comments: