Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, July 03, 2007

    MY BIKE WAS STOLEN!!! July 3rd 2007 journal

    Okay, before we all freak out, this is an epic story of intention and determination. Check it out...

    It was as lovely Saturday night in Zanzibar. I had just finished recoding and filming 3 amazing artists at the ZIFF Music and Film Festival and was in great spirits. I was invited to catch the sunset at the epic Africa House Hotel. After a lovely meal and some drinks I proceeded to take some rest and prepare for a night on the town. I left my bike at the Africa House, which I was warned by the manager NOT to do, and went about my festive Saturday night. I figured they had 24 hour security and I left my guard down and just locked it with a basic alarm lock one uses for laptops and all. Bad move.

    After a fun night with friends I went back the next morning to get ready for another day of filming and the bike was gone. Yikes! Had I moved it in my party frenzy the night before? How could this happen?

    After the initial shock wore off, it was time to act—and act fast. My biggest worry was that it would be sent by boat to the mainland capital of Tanzania, Dar es Salaam. I had to make sure this did NOT happen. With the help of my Italian buddy Anna we stepped into immediate action. Anna went and rented us two bikes while I went to work on a flyer offering a 1 million shilling reward—about $800 dollars. This is a HUGE in Zanzibar and I knew this would get the buzz started.

    We printed out 200 copies of the flyer and went out on the town handing them out to shady characters and business leaders alike. We peppered the port areas to make sure the bike would not make it past anyone there. I made a police report, if you can call what I did a police report, but knew it was up to US to get the bike back. Many locals told me the police would be worthless and I had to find other ways. I agreed having been in Africa for so long and seen their work ethic and corruption tolerance.

    I was then led to the local TV station by a chef from the Africa house and they immediately went about putting me on the news and I even bought air time to show photos of the bike and the story of the Peace Pedalers with the reward offered! It was about 30 bucks for 6 spots of 30 seconds (not bad!).

    By early evening the entire island knew about this bike and the buzz was everywhere! The crazy thing was that both the security guard working AND the another night auditor BOTH said they saw me take the bike and unlock it at 10PM the night of the theft! Something was fishy! I would know if I took a priceless bike back to my hotel. I only had a few cocktails.

    After dinner, less than 24 hours of the theft, I got an anonymous call from a guy Adil who said he heard the bike showed up in a drug addict part of town last night at about midnight. Somebody had been trying to sell it for 20,000 shillings, or about 18 dollars. Nobody would buy it as it was too big and obvious it was stolen. The addict who stole it was at a loss and brought it back to his house. That was the story. That night we went to find a guy who knew the thief to take him to the police but he was a no show. My hopes were again shattered, but at least I knew the bike was on the island and everyone kept telling me “Hakuma Matada”—no worries!

    The next morning I got a call from Adil and he confirmed that the bike was found but the only way to get it was to come out and pick him and his buddies up. We went back to the shady part of town in a mini-van taxi and proceeded to pick up about 7 stinky, shady characters who wanted in on the reward. I used my intuition to guide me here as they said we had to go without the police if I wanted to get my bike back for sure. They, like most locals on the island, said the police were very corrupt and would likely make matters far worse.

    As we drove to a mysterious location the van reeked with body odor so foul I put my head out the window. Deep inside I knew it would all be good. Adil is a solid cat and the taxi driver very trusted. They all knew is was the process. We simply drove to the thief’s house and wheeled the bike out! I even met the guy! He apologized and said thank you for not bringing the police. I did not care, I just wanted my bike back and to get back to filming and enjoying the festival.

    Adil and I drove back and on the way back to told him I was not prepared to pay the full 1 million reward because I had to spend two days of my time and money out working WITH them to find the bike. They were happy with a 500,000 shilling reward, about 400 dollars. So, a very hard lesson learned but I did indeed get my bike back in just over 24 hours.

    All along I have to say I was not THAT worried. I knew it would show up either here on the island or in Dar. I was just more bummed that I had to spend all the time and money away from the festival for being careless and not taking the advice of the manager. But I’ve forgiven myself, the thief and the security guard and am moving on. But I have to admit, it has taken the wind out of my sails and it’s been a struggle to get excited to be here in Zanzibar. There is a air of corruption and deceit that one can feel here, and until now I was able to sort of ignore it. We’ll see how I do the rest of my stay here….

    Over and out from Zanzibar!

    Jamie

    1 comment:

    cat said...

    Wow Jamie! Sorry to hear it was such a struggle to get your own property back. I suspect it's not uncommon, but it's still sad people act in such desperate measures to fill a need. Either way, glad you've been reunited with the bike and were able to continue the festival. :)