Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Saturday, August 04, 2007

    Update from the Benin Basecamp, West Africa

    So I’m chillin in a massive house of a French/Dutch guy named Hugo who, along with his buddy Mathieu, are hosting me here in Cotonou, Benin while I prepare for the expedition to Morocco. Preparation, as of now, means mom sending out tons of new equipment for the bike, camera gear and personal items while planning the 10-country route north. The route has changed at least 3 times since I’ve been here but I think I’ve nailed down a sweet trip that will keep me and my camera gear from suffering from Harmattan Winds (info at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmattan) and still allow me to catch some amazing surf during the peak season of surfing the Ivory coast. More to come, but the latest route and schedule is at www.peacepedalers.com/stage2.html. It is more than likely to change again but if anyone wants to come out and pedal that is about how I’ll be rockin the rest of Africa!

    So I’m picking up French pretty fast—not as fast as I thought, it is tougher than I imagined. But it’s a nice challenge. Needless to say, it sometimes leaves me drained from mental exhaustion. But with all the great people I’m meeting, both locals and ex pats working out here, I feel very at home and it’s hard to complain. Most of my crew here are surfers and I have a board, transport with the guys, and plenty of warm water waves to play on. The winds are onshore so the waves are pretty sloppy, but we’re managing to have some fun. I am missing home quite a bit—it’s been 9 months without a visit and that’s a long stretch for the kid! But I’m growing tons and the good times are far outweighing the bad.

    I should be on the road in just over a week or so and am very excited about the exciting expedition ahead indeed. I’m also a bit scared as it is tough traveling in these parts. But I know in my heart it will all work out perfect. Benin is a fascinating country and I highly recommend a visit to this region. I’ll get you a far more detailed update when I get moving out of the capital. But it’s got great people, culture, music, food and nature so plenty to keep you stoked!

    Over and out from Cotonou, Benin! Catchya on the road soon!

    Jamie


    No comments: