Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, September 16, 2008

    Blog from Bristol, England. September 16, 2008


    Greetings from the Bristol-Bath cycle route with Paul n Emma

    Wow, life here in UK and Ireland has been total bliss. After all the time in Asia and Africa struggling with the language barrier it’s just such a pleasure to communicate fully. I last left off in Wales where I was getting ready to ride with my host and amazing Amiga Janina from Swansea into the Gower region. I’ll give ya a quick update as I’m heading out riding for next few days…


    Janina and I on day one of our 3 day adventure in Gower


    Janina and I ended up spending 3 days and 2 nights in this charming Gower region cycling, exploring and camping in weather ranging from nice sunshine to gale force storms. This region of the world is something special and it was drawing me back after we returned back to Swansea to get Janina back to work. I ended up meeting a lovely woman Sue and her son Sam in Rhosilli who invited me back to stay with them so I made my way back for some more cycling and hopefully some surf.


    At the top of one of Gowers lovely climbs

    On the way back Rhosilli I ended up meeting a cool gal Eilish from Canada who was heading out mountain biking. So we hit Rhosilli together and charged the trails with my bike in “single mode”. It turned out to be one of the best mountain bike rides of my life following a tight coastal road overlooking the ocean. That night I was hosted by Sue and her husband Paul in Rhosilli at their restaurant “The Bay” and the next morning was able to hop in the water and surf this breathtaking nugget on great waves with the boys before heading back to Swansea to get my last goodbyes for the time being with Janina and make my way to Bristol.


    My ride heading into Rhosilli to look for riders...


    Eilish and I on a perfect day out mountain biking


    And a perfect last day in Wales--sun, waves and offshore winds for the surf!


    Since arriving in Bristol the bliss has only continued. My good friend Mette from Denmark set me up with her friends Paul and Jo and it’s been unforgettable. We also got a visit from Emma who has adventured with me in Zimbabwe, Senegal and Gambia so she made a trip down from the north where she lives to spend the weekend. Jo and Emma got along like sisters and Paul and Jamie like brothers so you can’t ask for more. The weekend has been filled with a great ride to Bath, free tickets to an epic rugby game, a live concert with our host Paul on the guitar/keyboards, Sunday Lunch with his family, great laughs and lasting friendships we will all cherish.


    Hosts Jo and Paul enjoying our 1st meal together with Emma and I


    Emma and I score FREE tickets to an epic rugby game

    And boy are the characters a hoot at these games!


    I have kidnapped Emma and we were going to ride out yesterday but we decided to stay one more day and make our way to see some friends from Gambia Jo and Richard who live in Southampton and do some pedaling in the national park by the coast. Then there are a few guest riders on the cooker for some serious pedaling Wednesday to Friday or so before heading on a boat to Holland to connect w/ my crew I met in Zambia…life is good!


    Endless thanks to Jo and Paul! You guys rock!


    I could not ask for much more on this adventure in the UK—friendly people, great food n drinks, fantastic music, wild weather, pristine nature and epic cycling adventures. I just wish it was not going by so fast but time does fly when you are having fun!


    I’ll try to get more caught up with journals but till then just use your imagination :)


    Peace,


    Jamie


    3 comments:

    Mette Hessel said...

    Awww love the last picture of Jo & Paul :-)

    xoxo

    Anonymous said...

    Our ride out through the city of Bristol really made me open my eyes. Its amazing how long you can live somewhere and not know the history or see the beauty of whats around you. Too often does the fast pace of modern life blind you. My advice since your visit for others is ,"Kick back, relax, unplug your headphones, take a SLOW walk and raise your eyes from the ground and see the wonders around you."

    Peace brother, hope we meet again one day soon.

    Paul.

    Anonymous said...

    It is useful to try everything in practice anyway and I like that here it's always possible to find something new. :)