Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, September 02, 2008

    Blog from Ireland, September 2, 2008

    My surf perch here in Ireland. Big Love from Paradise!

    I’m in my tent now at sunset, perched on a cliff above the ocean where surfers are out getting their last waves on a perfect day—great waves, offshore winds and sunny weather. It’s been such a treat to get back in the water again and close to my cherished energy source of the ocean. I’ll be perched here at least another day so I’ll be writing as long as the laptop battery will allow me to catch up on full on journals but here’s the quick update on the latest from the saddle.

    My last day in Belfast was stellar with two enlightening guest riders Joe in the afternoon and Austin in the evening. Joe is a former IRA volunteer-turned softie who could not hurt a fly and Austin a progressive, committed Peace Pedaler who has done and continues to use bikes as a vehicle for the healing process in Belfast. It was a big day of filming and Austin rode with me outside Belfast to kick off my ride to the west on the charming tow road by the canals.


    Meet Joe, the sweetest former IRA Volunteer ever!


    On the road out of Belfast w/ Austin...a VERY cool cat!

    I camped at a soccer field and was up at 5AM to start a 80 mile/130km ride to Enniskillen where I would meet Brid and Una’s brother Niel at their family home. It was one of the most challenging days in my life but a warm welcome from Neil at his place overlooking lakes in every direction, a nice meal, cold beers, good music and fun conversations made it all worth it.

    Neil was not a hard sell to come riding with me the next day and from Enniskillen to Sligo could have been one of the best days riding I’ve had in Europe—tailwind, gorgeous terrain, great chats, perfect weather and positive teamwork on the bike and in our minds. We arrived in the evening in Sligo where we met our host Monica and her son Art who invited Neil and I to stay the night.


    Neil is into Peace...let's all make it real!


    My brother Neil and I lovin life on our 3-day adventure!


    Neil and I are greeted with a smile from my Sligo hosts Monica and her son Art

    Yesterday was bliss with a blissful day that started out of surfing with Art on perfect waves and conditions. This lead to an adventure into Sligo to find Neil a bus back home that did not exist and Monica and I talking him in to staying one more night in Sligo. All the while Neil and I have been building a super solid friendship, as well as Monica and her family of three.


    Pinch me, am I dreaming? Perfect surf, board/wetsuit no sweat, sunshine, local spot...!!!

    And today I had to say the sad goodbyes to Neil and decided I wanted to camp on the ocean so I rode on out here for some surf and sea goodness. Monica’s son Art’s buddy Carien set me up with a board a wetsuit yesterday and today so the blessings continue for the lone Peace Pedaler out here in Ireland indeed. Been meeting some very friendly locals and have felt so at home and peaceful here on this green island of good fun loving folks.

    My surf brother and host Monica's son Art and I ridin the tides :)

    Monica takes me to her favorite secret spot on the dunes...lovely!

    The wildest family I've ever met--but so full o love!

    That’s the latest n greatest. I’m feeling grateful, blessed, free, alive and strong with great memories in the past and wow, I’m so excited about the future adventures of Peace Pedalers on the way down to Portugal over the next few months.

    Over n out from Paradise! Come to Ireland!!!

    Jamie

    No comments: