Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday, February 22, 2008

    Bye Bye Togo, Hello Benin

    Benin is where I started my 6 country Central West African loop and I'm finally back where I started, about 7 months later. I spent about about a month here learning a bit of French and gearing up with new equipment after my East African adventures and I'm back in with my bros Hugo and Stephane. I arrived yesterday and eating, surfing and relaxing before off n pedaling in Benin. Here's a quick tour of Togo...Enjoy!


    Bridget at 10KM of a planned 65KM ride and Me dead in bed for 56 hours

    So you heard about my sickness...super nasty. Cipro took her down and I was soon on the road again w/ my Togolese friends who came all the way from Accra to chill with me.

    My relief crew in from Ghana to tend to binks
    Some funky dancing at a voodoo ceremony


    Meet Isaac--we found each other on Facebook!
    And I knocked him out on his first day ;)

    Debora getting a healing lift for her bum foot
    Out on day two pedaing the backroads with Isaac





    Gina's mom Akouvi's neighbor is amazing
    Enjoying one of Akouvi's awesome meals in Vogan with Gina's brother Felix

    As you can see from the pics, it went from good, to bad, to amazing. Isaac and I spent 3 nights and 4 days riding together and I now have a brother in Togo. Amazing... And such great hospitality, willingness to help and welcome...beyond words.

    Many folks give Togo a quick pass through as it's not the most welcoming country, no way. But the coldness on the outside warms up once the Togolese folks know you. In fact, once you are "in", then you are like family and there is no warmer place on earth.

    The religion is very interesting, with traditional beliefs still dominant--namely, Voodoo. Very cool, non threatening, and pretty much the same as many religions with a focus on sacrifice and a belief in a higher power; but it's very colorful and unique, a must see!

    The filming is only getting better with a focus on letting the people become the hosts--I'm just along for the ride :) they love it! I love it!

    Blogs don't have to really make sense, so I'll just leave it at that. I'm chillin hard in Benin now--eating rich food, surfing all day tomorrow and Sunday, and livin Big after the recent adventures.

    Over n out from Cotonou!

    Jamie

    No comments: